OPEN POSTION: Director, Sustainability Initiatives, Bedford-Stuyvesant Restoration Corp
February 4, 2013
Bedford Stuyvesant Restoration Corporation (Restoration), the nation's first community development corporation, partners with residents and business to improve the quality of life of Central Brooklyn by fostering economic self sufficiency, enhancing family stability and growth, promoting the arts and culture and transforming the neighborhood into a safe, vibrant place to live, work and visit.
Building on a 25 year track record in weatherization, Restoration will embark on a multi-phase initiative to grow efforts in the energy conservation arena. Restoration seeks a highly motivated and entrepreneurial individual who will develop and oversee initiatives to make New York City and especially Central Brooklyn a healthier, more sustainable environment while also integrating energy conservation as a core value across programming,
Positions Description and Key Responsibilities
- Manage special initiatives designed to increase energy conservation in New York and Central Brooklyn, including Retrofit Bed Stuy Block by Block, solar and Cogen (CHP).
- Participate as a senior manager and oversee reporting for HouseLift by Restoration (construction) and identify new opportunities for the business; participate as a senior member of any new businesses and activities generated from our programs and joint ventures
- Coordinate with internal programs such as workforce, social services, housing, commercial revitalization, business development, weatherization assistance program (WAP) to facilitate implementation of environmental initiatives.
- Develop and oversee external affairs and communications strategy for environmental initiatives.
- Remain current on best practices in the field - policy, program and resources related to environmental issues.
- Represent Bed Stuy Restoration Corporation at policy forums and ensure representation in key environmental meetings/coalitions.
- Seek private and government sources to support and grow initiatives
We are seeking candidates who believe deeply in our organization's mission and who display a record of achievement. Requirements include:
- Master’s degree, or deep experience in public policy, planning or a related field
- At least 5 years of experience in energy conservation, community development or related field with track record of success
- Strong writing, analytical, interpersonal and communications skills
- Must be organized, responsible, detail oriented and have the ability to work effectively under pressure in both an individual and team setting a
- Must possess an entrepreneurial spirit and skill set
- Must be able to manage multiple projects and trouble-shoot problems quickly
- Experience working with for- profit, non-profit organizations, community groups and/or with government contracts
Competitive compensation package based on candidate’s experience and performance. Full benefits package. An EEO employer.
Please email cover letter and resume to Gordon Bell at firstname.lastname@example.org and Doris R. Hoyte at email@example.com